- On Netflix’s “Stranger Things 2,” Dustin wears a purple dinosaur hoodie.
- The sweatshirt is a real souvenir from the Science Museum of Minnesota (SMM).
- SMM is selling the hoodie in child and adult sizes.
- After crashing the website once, fans have now bought at least $400,000 worth of sweatshirts.
- You can still buy the sweatshirts (and purple crew neck shirts) on SMM’s online store.
Halloween might be over, but the Science Museum of Minnesota is already helping “Stranger Things” fans re-create their favorite character’s iconic ’80s science-geek look by selling his sweatshirt online.
On episode one of “Stranger Things 2,” Dustin Henderson (Gaten Matarazzo) wears a purple hoodie sporting the skeleton of a Brontosaurus from the Science Museum of Minnesota (SMM). The sweatshirt was really sold in the museum beginning in the early 1980s, according to a report from Minnesota Public Radio (MPR).
Now the SMM has brought back the hoodie as part of a full apparel line for children and adults, which includes sweaters and crew neck shirts. Each piece of clothing comes in a deep royal purple and features the “Brontosaurus: Thunder Lizard” branding.
The MSM online shop opened Tuesday at 8 a.m., and featured large banner advertising for the purple dinosaur apparel by saying “as seen in the hit show ‘Stranger Things.'”
“Demand quickly overwhelmed the site,” MPR reported. “The store was back online at 11 a.m. By 4 p.m., 10,000 units of Thunder Lizard apparel worth about $400,000 had been sold.”
Though the store crashed yesterday, you can still buy the sweatshirts (and purple crew neck shirts) on SMM’s online store here. According to the SMM website, “proceeds from your purchase support the museum’s ongoing educational and research efforts.”
Sign up here to get INSIDER’s favorite stories straight to your inbox.